Choosing the Right Time for Cosmetic Surgery
Once you’ve decided that you want to get cosmetic surgery, and are ready to go under the knife, the next step would be to decide the right time to get the surgery. Booking the actual date of the surgery in advance will give you enough time to manage and plan out all the elements that you need to organise to ensure that your surgical journey is as smooth as possible, from start to finish. The demand for surgery changes during different periods of the year, some periods witness a higher rate of bookings, whereas other times are not as high in demand. It is important to plan out the date properly, so that you can recover completely to avoid complications.
Popular Times for Surgery are as follows:
- Public holidays
- Winter/Summer school breaks
Are Holidays the right time for cosmetic surgery?
Most people tend to choose holidays because logically that appears to be the best time to go ahead. Holidays cut out the need to request leave from work, parenting duties such as taking kids to school, and having family members already at home, one does not need to worry about the care aspect that recovery requires.
What are the Benefits of Getting Surgery in Summer?
Getting surgery done in the warmer months could work out best for you because:
- The availability of summer holidays allows you to take days off work without needing to take additional days.
- For certain procedures involving the facial region such as facelifts, nose jobs etc. the risk of catching flu which are common around cooler months are lowered.
- Public holidays are great to plan around.
- The Easter break allows for adequate time for resting and recovery.
- You might miss out on important holidays and social events
- Surgeons may be on holiday
- You run the risk of tanning and exposing your skin to the sun
- Increased swelling and sweating
What are the benefits of getting surgery in Winter?
- A decrease in sunlight means less harmful UV exposure to the treatment area.
- Procedures such as facelifts may be better tolerated in cooler weather
- Winter weather is better suited for swelling
- You get to recover through winter and be ready to enjoy the summer months
- You might not have public holidays to fall back unto
- HIgh demand and less availability
Reasons against why school holidays aren’t the best time:
- With the kids away at school you’ll get adequate time to recuperate
- You won’t have to entertain the kids as per say
- The amount of care duties are reduced
What are the care factors you need to keep in mind?
- For the first few days you will need a designated carer who will cater to your needs
- Transportation from the hospital to your home will have to be arranged
- Assistance in chores such as cooking, cleaning, dressing is will required
- Kids will have to be looked after by either a spouse, a family member or friends
- If you have pets, you will need to make arrangements for them
Planning for Cosmetic Surgery
Planning carefully and thoroughly will ensure that your surgery will be a success. So make sure you consider all the factors that are necessary to make sure your surgery as well as the after care goes smoothly and complications are reduced.
Patient safety and satisfaction is taken very seriously by me and my team. We are committed to offer you excellent care throughout your treatment journey and help you achieve the results you aim for. I hope that this blog has been useful and has given you more information about the factors associated with rhinoplasty. Have more questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to me, and book an appointment.
About Dr Rodrigo Teixeira
Dr Rodrigo Teixeira, MD, FRACS is a Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne. He has significant experience in Cosmetic Surgery, Rhinoplasty and Facial Surgery. Dr Teixeira is a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). Internationally, he is a member of the American and the International Societies.